While landline phone service is not as widespread, there are still plenty of reasons to justify keeping a home phone. Here are five reasons to hang on to your home phone.
- Emergencies. When dialing 911 from a landline, emergency dispatchers can track your location much faster than from a cell phone. Since wireless phones are mobile, they are not associated with a fixed location or address and are tracked to the nearest cell site. This is especially important if you live in a multi-story building, because a call from a landline phone is easily traced to your address, including your apartment or condo number. Finally, if you have children at home who don’t have a cell phone, a landline is the most reliable connection to 911.
- Sound Quality. Consumer Reports found that sound quality on a cordless home phone was better than any cellular device. This is important especially if you suffer from hearing loss. Most cordless models run on digital-enhanced cordless technology, which uses the 1.9-GHz frequency band, minimizing interference with devices such as microwave ovens, which use other frequencies.
- Security. Home security systems generally use your telephone line to connect to an emergency call center. While there are options for wireless security services, cell phones do pose some challenges during storms or in areas with bad signal.
- Cost. The cost of a landline might not add up to much on your bill when it is coupled with TV and internet. Bundled pricing and other incentives are making landline phone options more affordable.
- Teaching responsibility. If you have children who aren’t quite old enough to have cell phones, maintaining a landline can be a good option for giving them some responsibility and teaching phone manners. A home phone provides some access to the outside world, but not too much.
Learn about the reliable, high-quality sound, and security that only a home phone can provides. TDS provides affordable, feature-rich phone plans so you can stay connected to family and friends. Customers will also enjoy the convenience of advanced calling features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, voice mail, and 3-Way calling. To learn more, go to HelloTDS.com or call 1-855-301-7470.