Ever wonder why you experience faster Internet speeds on your tablet in the living room, but a short walk into the kitchen means slower speeds? Many people blame their Internet connection when in reality it’s probably your Wi-Fi.
Here are some tips for boosting your home Wi-Fi.
1. The location of your gateway is one factor on the strength of your Wi-Fi. If your mobile device is a long distance away from the gateway or if the signal has to go through thick walls or furniture, this could impact the strength of your Wi-Fi signal. Position your Wi-Fi router in a central location and on a desk (waist height). Avoid putting it on the floor, close to a TV or near metal objects, which can scatter your signal.
2. Keep in mind that Wi-Fi travels through glass better than through concrete and brick walls. Wi-Fi signals can also be affected if your devices are located near microwaves, cordless phones, baby monitors, security cameras and blue-tooth devices.
3. Remember to turn your smartphone or tablet off regularly. If they are connected all the time, the connection can become “tired.” Turning off your Wi-Fi and then restarting it can help.
4. If you have multiple devices connected to your router, broadband can slow down. The more devices connected and running, the more the speed is shared.
5. Finally, it could be the age of your technology. Remember that older laptops and smartphones may not download information as quickly as a tablet or other newer devices.
While the convenience and versatility of Wi-Fi is great, slow speeds and interruptions do cause frustrations.
For the best wireless connection in your home, order Premium Wi-Fi at 1-877-414-9478 or go to our webpage.
For $7.95 a month, your Premium Wi-Fi services includes:
•Unlimited Expert Support: Get the help you need, when you need it. Our team of Wi-Fi experts is only a phone call — or web chat — away: Mon.-Fri. 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. (MT) and Sat. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (MT)
•Premium Equipment: With a dual-band gateway you’ll experience faster Internet speeds and less signal interference throughout your home.
•Wi-Fi-Focused Installation: Our specially trained TDS technicians will install your gateway in the optimal spot in your home, ensuring you the best Wi-Fi coverage possible.
Premium Wi-Fi is the perfect complement to your TDS high-speed Internet service.
To learn more watch the TDS video on how to better understand Wi-Fi in your home.